Thursday, October 16, 2014

My Soylent Experiment : Post Soylent Blues

Ok, so as I was drinking my last bit of Soylent last night, I was struck dumb by a thought:

"I'm going to miss this little brown drink."

I could hardly believe it.  I'd come to appreciate the texture and the flavor.  I was actually enjoying every glass.  I wasn't really interested in flavoring it differently, or making it into a shake.  It was good enough for me.  The gas problems were an annoyance, sure, and I did get a little heartburn toward the end, but for the most part, I was loving not worrying about food.

Contrast that with this morning.  I got up, knowing that I was out of my beverage meal, and decided to chop up some mushrooms and crack some eggs into a skillet.  10 minutes into the process, I was thinking to myself, "Oh jeez, c'mon already!  Why is this taking so long?  Why am I dirtying all this cookware?"

And then eating.  To stop what I was doing to pick up the bowl and fork and take a bite felt... well... awkward.  It was a bit crazy to me to think that I'm stopping what I'm doing instead of taking a sip of a simple drink.  Making and eating breakfast took about 20 minutes out of my day.  And at the end of it, I wasn't really any more satisfied or happy about what I ate than when I drank my Soylent.

So yeah, I miss Soylent already.

It's pretty great that I got an email from them saying that my next shipment should be here in a few days, and it is the new formulation (Soylent 1.1), so maybe the gas will be less an issue.  I won't do it 100% exclusively, but I'm sure happy to have the option to forego meal planning and still have something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment