Sunday, October 12, 2014

My Soylent Experiment: Day 4

One thing I didn't expect with this Soylent stuff, though a peek on their online forum confirms it's common, was the associated gas.

Note, I'm not talking about gas pains here.  The issue is the actual emitted flatulence.

And it's a deal breaker, in my book, for a Soylent-only diet.  Started to have problems with it on Day 3, but given my long term experience with flatus, I dismissed it.  But as of today, there's no doubt as to the source.

And when I say deal-breaker, I mean deal-breaker.  Until they get the formulation under control, there isn't anyone that's going to live with me while I am emitting these particular toxic clouds. They've been called "mustard gas" and "sulfarts" by folks on the forums.  One person even said that "I've had to wash things several times to get the sulfur smell to go away."  That, my friends, is a deal-breaker in action.

A couple of folks have suggested that the gas is coming from drinking it too rapidly.  After all, 670 calories is not intended to be pounded down in 30 seconds, despite the ease of doing so.  We'll see, as I'm trying to drink more slowly now.  But I think that this particular effect leads me to the idea of drinking Soylent only part-time.

A couple parting thoughts for day 4.

I've given you my impressions, but I'm not the only one interested.  See what other people have to say about Soylent and what the experience is like.

Note that there's been a lot written about the taste and the texture of this foodstuff.  Some folks have had a bad experience. Some reviews have called it gross.  One thing that's certain.  The company continues to refine Soylent to make it better for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment