Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Windows 8 in the Enterprise

I am a big fan of Windows 8.  I watched Hanselman's video early on, and I "get" the OS and what Microsoft is trying to do.  I have it installed on my desktops and laptops at home and absolutely love it. So when it came time to try out a Windows 8 tablet in the enterprise, I jumped at the chance.  Our support department loaned me an HP tablet with a build of Windows 8 on it to evaluate briefly.  Here's what I thought of it:

Network support:
For whatever reason, I was unable to connect to my work domain and remain connected.  This is not limited to the HP tablet device as our infrastructure group tried unsuccessfully to help me get my home laptop with Windows 8 on the network.  This wasn't a problem with older versions of Windows.

Mobile Iron support:
Our company has chosen to use Mobile Iron to deliver a mobile experience.  Mobile Iron explicitly does not support Windows 8.  This means that the best we can do with these devices is wifi on the local domain.  That’s not a great solution because it’s not truly mobile.

Ease of use:
The outlook client for Windows 8 works in the desktop only mode.  This means that the interface is not optimized for touch.  This makes Outlook difficult to use without a mouse.  The docking station the HP came with did not include a trackpad or a mouse, so I was constantly switching between touch and the keyboard, which isn’t particularly comfortable.  Compared to an iPad, it feels clunky and unnatural just to browse email.

Summary:
I know our organization is not ready to handle Windows 8.  Our choice of mobile vendors doesn’t support it.  I don’t know if the difficulty getting on the network is Windows 8 or my domain account, but for me, it’s an unusable mess.  Also, based on the difficulty of getting the device configured for use and the lack of Mobile Iron support, it’s also possible that Windows 8 isn’t ready for organizations, either.  I ended up giving the tablet back within a day, just very very disappointed.

I would love to hear any other opinions of people who have tried 8 in the Enterprise


No comments:

Post a Comment